What to Do If a Child Is Locked In a Car
The consequences of leaving a child locked in a hot or cold car can be devastating so it is important to take steps to avoid this situation at all costs. At Locksmith Minnesota we understand that accidents can happen and if you see a child locked in an unattended car or if you inadvertently locked your child in a car below are some tips on how to resolve the situation.
Child Is Responsive
If you see a child that is locked in a car or if you accidentally locked your child in the car and you can talk to them, and they are responsive and do not seem stressed you should do the following:
• Call for help. You can call Locksmith Minnesota at xxx-xxx-xxxx and request our emergency Child Rescue Program, and we will send a technician out right away free of charge.
• Stay with the child and keep them calm while you wait for help to arrive.
• Have someone look for the child’s parent or caregiver while you wait by the car with the child.
Child is Unresponsive
If you see a child that is locked in a car or if you accidentally locked your child in the car and they are unresponsive, or in distress, you should do the following:
• Call 911 Children cannot communicate their situation the way adults can and they cannot regulate their body temperature so if you see a child in a locked car and they are unresponsive or in distress call 911.
• Call Locksmith Minnesota at xxx-xxx-xxxx while you should always call 911 first, you can call our office, and we may have a technician nearby that can respond immediately.
• Get the child out of the car, if the child is unresponsive or in distress get them out of the car immediately. Even if you have to break the car window, a child can perish quickly when either too hot or too cold.
• Once out of the vehicle if the child is too hot spray them with cold water and try to lower their body temperature. If the child is too cold, then warm them up and try to raise their body temperature while you wait for help to arrive.
• Have someone look for the child’s parent or caregiver while you attend to the child.
At Locksmith Minnesota we want to make sure that all children are safe and that they do not get left in vehicles. We created the Child Rescue Program to bring awareness and education to the public about the dangers of leaving children in locked cars, and we also will always help to get a child out of a locked vehicle free of charge. If you would like more information about our Child Rescue Program call us at (952) 800-7750 and we will be more than happy to provide you with any information you need.